Lithonia Lighting® has been providing the industry’s broadest line of commercial, industrial, and residential lighting now for over seven decades. Together, with our partners, we bring quality, reliability, and solid performance to our customers, making Lithonia Lighting the most specified brand in the industry.
It All Started in a Garage
The Lithonia Lighting story began in 1946 when Sam Freeman founded the Lithonia Lighting Products Company. Operations began with just two employees working out of a 2,000 square foot garage in Lithonia, Georgia. In the early 1950s, Sam decided to concentrate on the growing demand for commercial and industrial fluorescent lighting fixtures. By the late 1950s, Lithonia Lighting had rapidly become a well-established leader in engineering and manufacturing fluorescent lighting.
In 1957, with more than 400 employees, Lithonia Lighting moved to larger facilities in nearby Conyers, Georgia. In 1969, the company was acquired by National Service Industries, Inc., which in 2001 spun off Lithonia Lighting and other assets to the newly formed Acuity Brands, Inc. (NYSE: AYI)., and where Lithonia Lighting remains a cornerstone brand. Today, Lithonia Lighting offers customers an industry-leading selection of quality LED lighting products in nearly every category.
Read here to learn more about Lithonia Lighting’s successful history, innovative solutions, diverse portfolio and plans for a bright future.